Tuesday 28 March 2017

Series ranting: Mercy Thompson

Since I've read all the books in Mercy Thompson series, I decided to rant about the series instead of separate books.

I'm really ass-kicker heroine (heh) junkie. I love strong female leads. Sorry, I just do. I hate whining damsels in distress. And I also hate instalove, Mary Sue's, perfect characters, teen-anst, lack of action, too much erotica. But, I love an ass-kicker. Mercy Thompson is one. I have to admit, the first book (Moon Called) was a bit dull. I liked it, but I didn't love it. Somehow the references to religion bothered me to no end. What a good Christian Mercy was.. Blah, dull. But I picked up the next two books too, until I lost interest.

But then I had nothing interesting to read, so I  started again, this time as audiobook. Lorelei King was familiar to me, because of Charley Davidson (She really is an excellent narrator) And wow, did I had a whole new interest in these books. Mercy has huge character development without becoming omnipotent goddess. She always stays as an underdog. The best book in my opinions was River Marked, but that was before I read (listened) Silence Fallen, which really is the best so far.

Mercy is tough without being overkill, she's a bit underdog, sneaky, strong but not invincible. Really big part of her strength lies in her loved ones and in her connections, as she mentions in Silence Fallen.

Adam is perfectly likeable, although not amazing, male lead.

Worldbuilding is deep and elaborate, but not too much so it's easy to keep up.

And Patricia loses the Christianity-crap in these books, yay!

I have to admit, this is the only series so far that I could read (listen) in a row without getting tired. Okay, Kate Daniels series by Ilona Andrews was an another one, but still. Charley Davidson is still waiting for me to finish it.

Books in this series
1. Moon Called
2. Blood Bound
3. Iron Kissed
4. Bone Crossed
5. Silver Borne
6. River Marked
7. Frost Burned
8. Night Broken
9. Fire Touched
10 Silence Fallen

Patricia Briggs has also written the Alpha and Omega series, which takes place in the same world as Mercy Thompson, but different protagonists. It is a really good series too, check it out!




No comments:

Post a Comment