Wednesday 12 April 2017

Dead Rising; Templar book One by Debra Dunbar.

As a fan of the Imp series by Debra Dunbar, I was intrigued to hop on to this series as well. I've been listening the Imp series book-per-day pace on a row, so I'm on a serious series-burnout with Samantha Martin and Gregory, and I needed some change. More thoughts about The Imp coming soon.

I listened this book as an audiobook. Narrator Elizabeth Phillips was really good. She didn't make male voices annoying or awkward, which many female narrators actually do. She was articulate and easy to follow, her pace was good, not too fast or too slow, and her voice is pleasant to listen. She fit well to role of Aria and I liked her overall performance.

To the story itself. Aria was bit whiny at times, religious stuff annoyed me a bit but it was part of being a Templar, so it was natural. Dario and his seductive vampire routine (which I'm so over, btw, too much vampire-obsession in my past. One word for you, Spike!) was surprisingly believable and I felt Aria's attraction, it wasn't forced. I actually ship them.

What annoyed me the most was that Aria was naive girl at times and her saviour-of-the-world complex was frustrating. "Hey, here is a bunch of blood-sucking murderers! Oh they really try not to kill their blood-slaves, they even last for two months! I feel so sorry for them, I must save them from this guy who's family those bloodsuckers murdered and who is seeking for revenge! I must save this guy too, he's just a pilgrim strayed from his right path!" Ugh.


What I liked this book was the worldbuilding. Not too much detailed or too exaggerated,  it was subtle and easy to follow. The whole templar-angle was interesting.

The book lacked the banter and humour of the Imp series, but I don't think that's  a bad thing.

I will be reading (or listening) the next installment. I actually bought it right after I finished this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment