Friday 14 April 2017

Last Breath; Templar book 2 by Debra Dunbar

I jumped to this book right after Dead Rising, I'm almost a nonstop- reader/listener, I always have some book that I'm reading. So, after Dead Rising, I spent my last credit to buy this on Audible.

This started right after where Dead Rising left. But now, Aria has a whole new enemy to track and bring to justice. Someone or something is killing local mages, who have been naughty doing morally and legally unacceptable magics to ward of some unknown evil.

Aria pairs up with an open-minded detective Trelawney, she starts to track down the killers, and the mages to bring them to justice.  She reconciles with her ex-bff Raven from Haul Du, and tries to move on from her forbidden feeling to Dario and start dating again.

But nothing goes as planned. Aria has to face some heartbreaking losses, to hard decisions and think what justice truly is and is it OK to deliver the said justice herself.

I found interesting in this book the demon summoning and the angel lore. Aria's accidental high was relatively funny, but nor hilarious. Plot was easy to follow and narrator sill did an excellent job. Cover was beautiful.

Aria still was whiny and hypocritical. I find "deep and thoughtful" inner monologue extremely boring and this book had it's own share of it. This time I didn't feel her attraction towards Dario and it felt forced. Plot was predictable and the villain was obvious. And why the hell she always has to be sleep deprived? I don't get it.

This series truly isn't as brilliant as The Imp from the same author. I might pick up the next installment if I don't have anything else to read.

No comments:

Post a Comment